2019/11/01

OSR: Mercenary Stats & Tables

Here's part of the Monster Overhaul project. These handy stats and tables overlap nicely with my GLOG Mercenaries posts.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18ntoQUInXVL2igbtXRoDDG58PFxyGxeJ

PDF


Providing tools to make "mundane" encounters interesting is tricky. It'd be easy to expand the tables, but would that really help a GM running a game? What tools are immediately useful, and what could be folded into other sections of the book?

Basically, if I'm going to take up 3 pages on Mercenaries, are the ideas present worth the page space?

I think so. Full-page statblocks aren't usually my thing, but I'd like to provide useful tools that most other Monster Manuals ignore or stick in an appendix, without filling a page with excruciating and difficult to parse details.

2 comments:

  1. The reasons for not fighting are very amusing yet plausible :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent. When I add a faction to a game I need a name, a flavor, what they want, and what they are doing. When i anticipate an encounter I need a name if applicable, veeerrryyy simple stats, and what they are doing. You gave me all I need for both, plus it's funny. No extra crap.

    ReplyDelete